Lifelong learners in Elko can now enjoy the benefits of being an OLLI Affiliate Member. For an annual fee of $30 Affiliate Members get:
- Access to at least one OLLI class per month that is streamed live from the University of Nevada, Reno to Great Basin College
- Access to over hundreds of OLLI classes at the University of Nevada, Reno Moana and Redfield Campus locations
- Intellectual, cultural and social interaction with others who share a common interest in exploring new and fascinating areas of knowledge
The OLLI membership year runs Sept. 1, 2019 through Aug. 31, 2020. Sign up now and pay only $15 for the 2020 spring semester! Click on the green “Register Online” button or call (775) 784-8053. Want to try a class for free? Be our guest! Attend any of the classes listed on the schedule to find out more about OLLI.
Upcoming Classes - Elko, NV
click to expand/collapse Universal Health Insurance Coverage: Medicare for More or Medicare for All?
- Date: Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 10-11:30
- Presentor: John Packham, Ph.D., associate dean, Office of Statewide Initiatives, UNR School of Medicine
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 ("Obamacare" or "ACA") resulted in dramatic reductions in the number of uninsured Americans. Since its passage, nearly 400 thousand Nevadans have gained coverage through the state's participation in the ACA's Medicaid expansion and through private coverage offered on our state's health insurance exchange. Nonetheless, 10% of the state's population remain uninsured. Learn about current state and federal policy proposals to expand health insurance coverage in Nevada and the United States, proposals to expand coverage via changes to existing Medicare and Medicaid programs, as well as reform proposals that build on employer-based health insurance.
click to expand/collapse Effects of Global change: A Birds-eye Perspective from Nevada to Nicaragua
- Date: Wednesday, Feb. 26 from 2-3:30 p.m.
- Presentor: Presenter: Thomas Albright, Ph.D., associate professor, Department of Geography, UNR
Birds are important parts of our ecosystems and a major source of enjoyment for millions of people. However, recent reports indicate they are under threat and declining in many areas. What factors are causing these declines? What is in store for the future? What can we do about it? In this session, we'll look at this problem through the lenses of physiology, ecology, conservation biology, and geography. We'll especially focus on UNR-based research in the Desert Southwest and Central America, where many of our beloved bird species spend their winters.
click to expand/collapse Waning Counterculture: What it means and why we may need it more than ever
- Date: Thursday, March 26 from 10-11:30 a.m.
- Presentor: Presenter: Erica Bein, professor of English, TMCC
We will look at past American countercultural movements and their historical and social repercussions. We will also look at what the countercultural movement means now and why the voice of counterculture has been in decline. What does that mean for our society, and how do we move into the future?
click to expand/collapse Great Salt Lake City: the first major settlement in the west
- Date: Friday, April 17 from 10-11:30 a.m.
- Presentor: Presenter: Jim Bonar, M.Ed., OLLI Member
Great Salt Lake City was the original name given by Brigham Young, president of the Latter Day Saints church, to the valley southeast of the Great Salt Lake when he led a group of Mormon pioneers to settle there in 1847. Why did he choose what was believed to be a barren wasteland, and what caused more than 40,000 people to leave their homes and build a new city there?
click to expand/collapse National Security Issues in the Presidential Campaign
- Date: Wednesday, May 20 from noon-1:30 p.m.
- Presentor: Richard Siegel, Ph.D., professor emeritus of political science, UNR, OLLI Advisory Council member
In-depth perspectives on several emerging policy crises affecting the 2020 U.S. Presidential Election.
OLLI Elko Location
Great Basin College Community Outreach Center, 1025 Chilton Circle, Elko.
Classes are streamed live from OLLI at the University of Nevada, Reno and to Great Basin College. Please arrive 15 minutes early to sign the attendance roster.